Thursday, May 30, 2013

Happy Birthday Bag!

I made this bag for my friend's birthday.  She's actually more like a sister because she's been in my life for a long time.  Let me put it this way, we have children that are the age we were when we first knew each other.    :)
Anyway, she told me the size of bag she wanted and said to use "spring/summer colors." 
Bag front with flower
So, maybe these aren't  the pastels of spring and summer, but they are still spring/summer colors, right?  I was in a BRIGHT mood when I bought the fabric.  :)  I made the bag and thought it needed something a little more.  So, I made a ruched hot pink flower. I found this tutorial on how to make ruched flower. The flower was great but it wasn't working on the bag for me...it didn't seem like the right size and style. So, I put the flower away and decided to make a hot pink bow.  (pic below)
Bag front with bow
I put the bag--with the bow--in a place where I could look at it for a few days.  Again, it just wasn't right.  So, I went back to the ruched flower and decided to add petals.  I searched for fabric that I had to match.   I found the yellow fabric.
up-close of flower
 
WOW!  That is a fun bright flower!  :) 
bag back
After finishing the bag, I thought to myself "all this yellow can get dirty quick." So, I sprayed the bag and flower with ScotchGuard. 
inside
For the inside I used grey/white POLKA-DOTS!!!
This bag is made from a Waverly pattern for Butterick (B5658).
I hope she enjoys this bag.  Happy Belated Birthday my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment