Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Prilly Bag


Front

I have several other bags that I should be making.  I even have another bag completely cut out.  For some reason, I can't get myself to sew together that bag.  I also have several other non-sewing things I need to get done.  So, why is it NOW that I feel inspired and creative?  I HAD to make this bag....it was in my head.  :)  It's been a while since I've made my own bag pattern.  I started it last night and finished it this morning.  I made this bag out of muslin because I wanted a shabby chic kind of look.  I wanted it to be pretty, a little rustic and very feminine.    I had fun playing with my sewing machine ruffle foot.
I decided to call this bag "Prilly"  as in pretty frilly.  :) 



inside
I created a paper template for the bag body.   I cut this template out of muslin and heavy weight interfacing.  I tore several 2.5 inch strips of muslin.  I measured up 3" from the bottom of the bag and marked a line.  I measured and marked 3" from that line....I kept doing this until I reached the top.  I used the ruffle foot to attach the torn strips to the front and back of the bag.  After I had finished adding the ruffles, I decided I wanted the ruffles to be fuller.  I added more rows of ruffles in between the other rows. 
The side gusset of this bag was originally the handles, but I didn't like how it looked.  I ripped the bag apart and restructured it. 
side/gusset
 
It took me a little bit to figure out how to do the handles.  I wanted something a little different...and still very feminine.  So, I played with some scrap fabric trying to figure out how to make handles.  I decided to take a strips of fabric turn each short end under 1/4" then sew strips of fabric in a tube to hide the raw edges. I turned the tube right side out, pressed and edge stitched.   I gathered the handles and sewed them to the top of the bag.   I then added the bows. 
 

back

No comments:

Post a Comment