Friday, July 1, 2011

Outdoor FUN!

Well, summer has definitely hit here!  Happy 4th of July weekend!
I don't know why, but I felt like I MUST make this awesome roll-up cushion when I came across the pattern Summer Fun Outdoor Padded Roll-up Cushion.  I'm very addicted to the sew4home website.  There are tons of wonderful projects here. 
We will be using this cushion to view the fireworks shows this year.  We are not too far away from a water park that puts on several fireworks shows all weekend long.  We just have to walk across the street to a park.  So, this year we will soak in some bug spray--the park is near a body of water; I was eaten alive last year on one arm because I forgot to spray that arm with bug spray--and view the shows.
Within a few days of spotting this pattern, I received a sales ad for a nearby fabric store.  Outdoor fabric was at an excellent price.  I went looking for fabric that I could place on the ground and not have to be too concerned about stains.  I thought "hey, brown and green...mud and grass!  This fabric is mine."
cushion rolled-up
 This cushion works perfectly to take to the water parks and pool, too. The cushion inside is mildew resistant.
LOL!  My daughter just walked in and read my post-in progress.  She asked if she could use this cushion to give her dad a back rub.  I said "okay."  As she was walking off she said, "you can put that in your post, too...that it's good for back rubs."  :) 

This was a very easy project to do.  I think it took me an somewhere around 6-7 hours from cutting to clean-up--with interruptions.  The hardest part was finding the Nu Foam.  I had to go across town because all the nearby stores were out. 
cushion opened
 So, after I finished this fab. cushion, I had extra fabric to play with.  I decided I needed a bag to go with my cushion.  I used the Landsend Zipper Totes as my inspiration. 
Yep, I'm kinda excited!  I finally got over myself and made my own pattern.  There is a zipper at the top and a pocket on the front. 
For the handles I used nylon webbing.  I was given lots of nylon webbing...I've been enjoying playing with it all.  :)  This is the first time I was able to work this black/brown nylon into a project. 

inside of bag
For the inside of the bag I used some fabric I've had for a while...before I even began sewing.  This fabric used to be my curtains...remember this mom?  LOL!  I have really been trying to use some of my fabric stash.  It was hard, but I didn't go buy fabric for the inside of this bag. 
Anyway, the fabric was a pain to work with.  I've got many, many, many more yards to go through. 
I put a zipper pocket on one side and a slip pocket on the other.
Overall, I think I could do a few more changes on this if I make it again. But not bad for a pattern making skill builder. :)
I still have a little bit more of this fabric...I'm trying to decide what to make with it...hummmm???
I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I like the roll up. Very cute. I wonder how it would do for situps on the floor, nah, id just sit or lie down, not both back to back. Thats not a good way to use a cushion, at least for me. Nice job on the tote also. :-)

    ReplyDelete